Siemens Principal Software Architect in Foster City, California
Principal Software Architect
Locations:Foster City, California
Job Family: Research & Development
Division: Energy Management
Business Unit: Digital Grid Solutions & Services
Requisition Number: 225056
Primary Location: United States-California-Foster City
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
eMeter is at the heart of the Smart Grid revolution sweeping the globe: every electric, gas, and water meter around the world is being replaced by a “Smart” meter that can measure precisely when and how much energy is consumed. We’re one of two major product portfolios making up the Siemens Digital Grid Software unit, and are the leading provider of software that manages the enormous stream of data generated by smart meters and a growing number of other types of devices and sensors on the smart grid network.
The EnergyIP platform uses state of the art technologies for distributed, high volume computing and IoT applications, and is the foundation for all new smart grid applications at Siemens. Our growing set of applications includes smart meter data mgmt, demand response, distributed energy mgmt, smart outage detection, customer portal, along with a suite of big data analytics apps for analyzing consumer behavior, optimizing the distribution grid, and performing market settlement. In addition, the eMeter platform is being heavily leveraged and enhanced as part of the Siemens-wide Mindsphere IoT platform.
We offer technically challenging work, opportunity for growth, an open and collaborative culture, and the chance to make a difference.
eMeter is seeking an experienced, hands-on Principal Architect, to help drive the overall architecture and technical strategy across our entire EnergyIP platform and application suite. In this position you will work with the VP Engineering and the various product architects, product managers, and development teams, to:
• Help drive eMeter’s technical vision and strategy, and associated new technology adoption. Focus areas include big data (near real time, batch, and visualization), Internet of Things, microservices, and SaaS elastic deployment and continuous availability.
• Perform hands-on architecture and design across eMeter components and applications, collaborating with other architects and product teams.
• Drive common platform functionality, and consistent, best-practice application design.
• Drive the move to full SaaS deployment and management, while also maintaining support for on-premise deployments.
• Evangelize the EnergyIP platform for use by other business units within Siemens, and lead the solution design for these applications to effectively use the platform.
• Interact with implementation partners and customers to understand their needs, and feed this back to the product teams and roadmap.
• Mentor other architects and tech leads. Build design skill and best practices within the organization.
• Significant experience architecting, designing, and developing complex, configurable, scalable enterprise software products. Mission critical transactional business applications a must, and analytics applications a plus.
• A strong background in systems level thinking and design. Combined with the ability to translate technical strategy and architectures into concrete, practical designs, with the right tradeoffs and phasing.
• Broad and deep knowledge of relevant technologies, including Java, messaging, relational and NoSQL databases, data modeling, Hadoop, analytics, IoT, and RESTful interfaces.
• Excellent understanding of the architectural principles for cloud based platforms that include SaaS, PaaS, multi-tenancy, infrastructure as code, and continuous availability.
• Experience working in an agile environment.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to present and discuss technical strategies, architectures and designs clearly and concisely.
• A strong history of collaborating effectively across large engineering teams.
• A minimum of 5+ years of experience as an architect is required, and a minimum of 10+ years of application development experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm .
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf .