Siemens Application Developer Software Engineer in Schenectady, New York
Application Developer Software Engineer
Locations:Schenectady, New York
Job Family: Engineering
Division: Energy Management
Business Unit: Digital Grid Solutions & Services
Requisition Number: 200129
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
With power chain management from creation to consumption, and over half a dozen manufacturing hubs here in the U.S., Siemens Energy Management provides technologies for the economic, reliable, and intelligent transmission and distribution of electrical power. From smart grid and energy automation technology, to power supply for industrial plants and high-voltage transmission systems, Siemens is providing intelligent technologies to a diverse clientele.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/energy-management.htm
As an Application Development Software Engineer with Siemens Power Technologies International (PTI), the candidate will join the Siemens PTI software development team. The successful candidate will – along with other product team members – be responsible for maintaining and developing new analysis and modeling components for the world renowned PTI PSS® software platform. This Windows- and Web-base platform is used by a large number of national and international electrical utilities and consulting firms to conduct Power System studies that aid in the maintenance, stability, and expansion of the electrical transmission and distribution infrastructure. Given this importance, we are looking for the brightest talents to join our team.
• Working with the PTI software development team (across multiple national and international locations) on designing, developing, testing, supporting and documenting the commercial application software.
• Maintaining and developing globally shared components of the PTI PSS® software platform under the direction of the development manager(s).
• Creating robust tests for the QA team to assess accuracy, performance, correctness and usability of the software.
• Providing estimations and analysis of tasks required for development, and actively participate in product status reviews.
• Staying abreast of any and/or new developments in the area of Usability, User Interface technologies, database methodologies, hosted deployments and associated data security.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• B.S. or M.S. degree in computer science or computer engineering with concentration in mathematics, physical sciences, and/or electrical engineering. A minor in electrical engineering with focus on power engineering is a plus.
• Thorough understanding of object-oriented design and programming concepts in scientific programming arena
• Experience developing in C/C++ or Fortran is a plus, particularly in the MS Visual Studio environment.
• Knowledge of programming in a multiple-processor environment is a plus.
• One or more of the following areas will be a differentiator:
o Experience with browser-based application development
o Experience with efficient programmatic database queries
o Experience with low level graphics APIs, such as GDI, GDI+, DirectX and/or OpenGL.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills - written and verbal.
• Strong organization skills and ability to effectively self-manage multiple tasks at one time.
• Team player, customer focused with good interpersonal skills, positive and energetic attitude.
• Ability to work independently and manage time effectively.
• General knowledge of electrical power transmission network modeling and simulation is a plus
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm .
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/PayTransparencyNotice_JRFQA508c.pdf .