Siemens Cyber Physical System Research Scientist in Princeton, New Jersey
Cyber Physical System Research Scientist
Locations:Princeton, New Jersey
Job Family: Research & Development
Division: Corporate Technology
Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 200145
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Doctorate Degree
Travel Required: 20%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services. Our support functions are split into two organizations, Corporate Core and Corporate Services. These organizations provide essential services to better enable responsible and profitable growth. For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies and the business models developed from them have been the foundation of Siemens‘ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with our global network of experts, we are a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units and provide important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes. Our support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with our own future-oriented research.
We at Corporate Technology are more than employees: We are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
The Research in Digitalization and Automation (RDA), as part of Siemens Corporate Technology (CT), is at the heart of Siemens R&D. Our deep competence and expertise make us the preferred partner for innovation. We develop technologies with wide applicability so that Siemens may successfully bring innovations to market. Our scientists located around the world help create and retain a technological edge for Siemens in the focus area of automation, electrification and industrial digitalization.
Siemens CT is seeking a Cyber Physical Systems Research Scientist to be part of our US System Integration Research Group of IT Platforms Technology Field in Princeton NJ. The focus will be on architecting advanced software platforms and integrating those technologies into Siemens products and solutions in collaboration with the Siemens Business Units. This position reports to the Head, Research Group, System Integration US of the IT Platforms Technology Field.
This Technology Field consists of 8 Research Groups in 5 countries (US, Germany, Austria, China and India). We architect and build vertical IT platforms in the areas of Cloud Computing, Mobile Computing including Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality systems, cross-domain System of Systems, Smart Embedded Systems, and Social Computing and Collaboration Systems. These platforms are built to become the digital foundations for Siemens products and services created by the various Siemens Business Units.
• Innovate next generation cyber physical systems
• Apply research results to real-world problems (distributed, resilient systems, including real-time aspects and backend processing in cloud systems)
• Advance the state-of-the-art in the field, including generating patents and publications in top journals and conferences
• Set-up, manage and execute research projects with top universities. Define research contents based on global CPS R&D strategy, set up collaboration project agreements, identify & protect and/or publish novel IP. Serve as entrepreneur for the acquired know-how within Siemens.
• Prototyping and feasibility studies
• Working with customers to understand problem requirements, creating and delivering solutions to such problems
• Identification of subsidies & grants opportunities, identification of partners, definition of win-strategies and writing of proposals and serving as Co-PI
• Presentation of research results at academic & industrial conferences and to business partner within Siemens
• Consulting of Siemens R&D divisions with regards to CPS technologies and applications
• Maintaining and developing internal and external contacts in the CPS community
• Working with Siemens BU customers to understand their problems and demands for CPS technologies
• Finding pilot opportunities within Siemens to verify feasibility and viability of the technologies
Skills & Qualifications:
• PhD in computer science, engineering or related discipline
• 2+ years of experience in related field and successful demonstration of key responsibilities preferred
• Proven ability to generate and develop new research ideas as demonstrated by publications and implementation of working system prototypes
• Strong theoretical and practical background in Software Engineering, Software Architecture and Distributed Systems
• Experience in smart cities, including domains as smart grid, smart buildings and smart transportation preferred
• Experience with middleware/message oriented middleware (protocols) as MQTT, DDS and distributed (NoSQL) data storage systems
• Experience with Real-time applications or real-time operating systems is a plus
• Experience with public cloud providers as Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure is a plus
• Ability to quickly prototype systems using state-of-the art technologies
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a can-do attitude
• Ability to work independently and prioritize work
• Strong collaboration skills and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
• Flexibility and adaptability to work in global teams
• Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on: http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy‐guidance/deemed‐ exports/deemed‐exports‐faqs?view=category&id=33#subcat34
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm .
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/PayTransparencyNotice_JRFQA508c.pdf .