Siemens Sr. Ultrasound Systems Engineer in Issaquah, Washington
Sr. Ultrasound Systems Engineer
Job Family: Engineering
Division: Siemens Healthineers
Business Unit: Ultrasound
Requisition Number: 202718
Primary Location: United States-Washington-Issaquah
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Master's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
With 45,000 employees Siemens Healthineers is one of the world’s largest suppliers of technology to the healthcare industry and a leader in medical imaging, laboratory diagnostics and healthcare IT. All supported by a comprehensive portfolio of clinical consulting, training, and services available across the globe and tailored to customers’ needs. So that more people can have a life that is longer, richer, and more filled with happiness.
For more information, please visit: http://www.usa.siemens.com/healthcare
The Sr. Engineer/Systems Engineer will report to the Head of Advanced Development and work as part of the Advance Development team focused on ultrasound innovations in quantitative ultrasound and quantitative elastography (shear wave or similar). The primary responsibility of this role is the development of new quantitative imaging algorithms/features for premium ultrasound systems. This includes prototype refinement and evaluation in collaboration with leading clinical and technical researchers, and support of the prototype transfer into product release. Our mission is to be leaders in ultrasound by translating ultrasound innovations into applications that both advance clinical care and create business value.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Act as the project owner and technical lead on the development, verification and clinical testing of quantitative ultrasound and/or quantitative elastography imaging prototypes.
• Perform hands-on ultrasound imaging research and development on Siemens clinical scanners.
• Design, integrate and test quantitative imaging algorithms within the architecture of a premium ultrasound system.
• Support other team members with ultrasound imaging feature development and testing.
• As project owner, drive feature through the prototype development process and support transition into product development, release and support.
• As a technical developer, support technical activities during multiple phases of the Siemens Product Development Process including concept development, research, prototype development, clinical investigation, product design requirements, product development, clinical optimization, verification, validation and field support.
• Work with cross-functional teams including other Advanced Development team members, electrical hardware engineers, software engineers, ultrasound engineers, product managers, collaboration managers, marketing managers, project managers, and external clinical and university researchers.
• Required: Strong understanding of ultrasonic acoustics in human tissues and the relationship to ultrasound imaging system performance.
• Required: Strong Matlab and/or Python coding skills; basic familiarity with C, C++, C# coding and software design principles.
• Desired: Strong C, C++, C# skills and advanced software design knowledge.
• Desired: Experience with ultrasonic acoustic simulation tools (e.g., PZFlex, Field II) or experimentation environments (e.g. Labview).
• Required: Ability to function as an entrepreneurial team member, possessing a can-do attitude willing to complete a broad range of tasks to ensure the success of team objectives.
• Required: Ability to effectively communicate (both oral and written English) across a broad range of internal and external interfaces including Siemens staff and external partners.
• Required: Ability to communicate with clinical experts and translate clinical needs into technical solutions that meet or exceed those clinical needs.
• Required: Strong familiarity with research literature associated with technical developments in quantitative diagnostic ultrasound imaging (e.g., backscatter analysis and shear wave elastography).
• Desired: Strong understanding of clinical applications ultrasound technology in diagnostic imaging including standard imaging modes (e.g., B-mode, Doppler) and advanced imaging features (e.g. elastography, shear wave imaging).
• Desired: Understanding of regulatory requirements governing medical device design and development.
• Desired: Familiarity with commercial system offerings and market trends.
• Ph.D. biomedical engineering (or closely related field) focused on quantitative ultrasound and/or quantitative elastography research and development
• Required: Graduate level coursework in digital signal processing, image processing, acoustics and medical imaging.
• Required: Experience implementing ultrasound signal/image processing algorithms intosimulation environments(e.g., Matlab, Python, etc…), interpreting results and optimizing for desired performance characteristics.
• Desired: Experience implementing ultrasound signal/image processing algorithms onultrasound hardware(research or clinical), collect relevant data, compare with simulation, and optimize for desired performance characteristics.
Experience using Matlab and/or Python in algorithm or simulation development.
• Desired: Experience developing and/or evaluating quantitative ultrasound and/or shear wave imaging algorithms/modes for specific clinical objectives in a research or commercial environment.
• Desired: Experience working (as an intern or full-time employee) for a commercial diagnostic ultrasound company.
• Required: Experience in technical writing (e.g., peer reviewed publications, conference proceedings, or grant applications a plus)
• Desired: Experience preparing working with clinicians to develop/improve ultrasound imaging capabilities.
• Desired: Experience preparing clinical study protocols as part of securing regulatory approvals (e.g. IRB or Ethics Committee) for the clinical evaluation ultrasound imaging features.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm .
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf .