Siemens Senior Engineer in Florham Park, New Jersey
Locations:Florham Park, New Jersey
Job Family: Engineering
Division: Building Technologies
Business Unit: Region Americas
Requisition Number: 200551
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
The Siemens Building Technologies Division is the North American market leader for safe and secure, energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly buildings and infrastructure. As a technology partner, service provider, and system integrator, Building Technologies has offerings for fire protection; life safety; and security as well as building automation; heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC); and energy management. Since 1995, Siemens has helped to modernize nearly 7,000 buildings worldwide, including important American landmarks such as World Trade Center Memorial, Times Square Building, Carnegie Hall, Walt Disney World and the Mount Vernon Estate.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/building-technologies.htm
A Test Systems Architect is an R&D organization-wide, strategic position with the core function of a being a Systems Architect for Test Systems, providing direction for test methods, tools, and activities for the R&D organization.
The candidate is responsible for the test infrastructure of the Fire Systems’ overall product line, as well as for providing inputs/direction to overall test plans of individual projects. Candidate defines test strategies that comply with implicit and explicit requirements, functional- and non-functional requirements, and manual/automated test methodologies. Candidate also provides technical direction for testing (test design / strategy in a project / module, technology, process), and contributes to projects of high complexity and relevance in regards to validation and verification.
To be successful in this position the candidate must possess knowledge of Fire Systems regulatory requirements, Fire Systems architectures, and be driven to become a product expert, test expert (esp. in the area of automated testing), and a domain expert. This position reports directly to the Director of R&D.
• Provides Technical Leadership and Strategic Direction to the testing of Fire Systems.
• Responsible for Test Strategy formulation.
• Guides, Formulates and Develops effective Test Architectures and Test Environments per organizational needs.
• Must be driven to become the Technical Authority, with responsibility for the overall Quality of deliverables across all parameters, both functional and non-functional including performance, security, usability, etc.
• Pro-actively analyzes current processes and practices and suggest/ drive improvements. Also, defines processes as needed.
• Exercises wide-reaching scope, impact, and influence extending beyond the confines of the test systems architect role and spans across the entire product organization.
• Designs and prototypes systems architectures, working closely with R&D team.
• Designs, implements, and tests software systems. System consists of components for high data throughput within a fire system.
• Prototyping, benchmarking and defining specifications of software components.
• Analyzes and communicates technical recommendations.
• Drives organization-wide Quality Process initiatives and their implementation to ensure Quality of deliverables.
• Maintains “complete and comprehensive overview" pictures of the Test Systems, its dependencies, organizational goals, technology arena, etc. and helps guide its realization.
• Collaborates effectively and on an on-going basis with all constituents involved in product development and release.
• Involved in understanding business requirements and working with the development architects to translate requirements into solution architecture designs. Reviews requirements and seeks clarity as required, participates in product design reviews and works with the development architect and development team to make any design improvements and refinement as needed.
• Identifies testability requirements and supports their incorporation into designs.
• Pro-actively seeks to make continuous improvements to test coverage, execution, automation, and productivity.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Experience in embedded hardware and software design (Object-Oriented) and implementation.
• Knowledge of the levels of testing and how to apply them.
• Familiar with and able to apply advance software testing techniques.
• Ability to create detailed acceptance criteria that represents the customer’s needs and organizational quality attributes.
• Ability to document architectures (UML, Four Views)
• Ability to interact and successfully negotiate with senior management.
• Ability to plan, lead, and execute projects to develop new testing capabilities.
• Ability to identify and correct test coverage gaps/inefficiencies at any test level.
• Ability and desire to become a product expert.
• Capable of being the testing expert on the development team for both manual and automated tests.
• Ability to clearly communicate with product owners, developers, and stakeholders.
• Ability to contribute to test automation either by test case input and/or by creating test automation scripts.
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
• 15-20 experience of fire systems (including in-depth knowledge of Fire Systems including XLS fire finder.
• Excellent communication skills, in verbal and written form.
• Excellent interpersonal, leadership and planning skills.
• Excellent negotiation and customer service skills.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Ability to specify and setup test environments.
• Ability to produce technical strategy for a project/product.
• Comfortable perform role outside of their comfort zone (so pick up a new technology, on a new project quickly and become the expert).
• Ability to improve testing processes and techniques on a project.
• Ability to perform test tool evaluations.
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
• Strong team working skills, self starter and leadership capabilities.
• Ability to be detailed oriented without losing sight of strategic aspects.
• Ability to be organized, analytical, and tenacious.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm .
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/PayTransparencyNotice_JRFQA508c.pdf .