Siemens Secondary Air Systems (SAS) Engineer in Charlotte, North Carolina
Secondary Air Systems (SAS) Engineer
Locations:Charlotte, North Carolina
Job Family: Engineering
Division: Power Generation Services
Business Unit: Power Generation Services (PS)
Requisition Number: 500149
Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-Charlotte
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Power & Gas (PG)
Siemens sets the standard for excellence in power generation, transmission and distribution, and provides innovative customer solutions – from utilities, to industrial space, to oil and gas companies. Siemens’ portfolio includes power plants and power-generating equipment, turbines for use as mechanical drives, compressors for industrial applications, power transmission and distribution systems, smart grid applications, and related instrumentation and control systems.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/power-and-gas.htm
Secondary Air Systems (SAS) Engineer
Charlotte, NC or Orlando, FL
• This position is for a Secondary Air Systems (SAS) Engineer to support R&D projects for industrial gas turbines
• The ideal candidate will join a team of engine integration engineers working on existing frames and/or the next generation of Siemens gas turbines
• This position will report to an Engine Integration manager within Siemens Gas Turbine Engineering
• This position may be filled in Charlotte, NC, Orlando FL, or Jupiter, FL
• Calculations relative to engine secondary airflow systems (SAS) and whole engine modeling (WEM) for gas turbine development programs
• Ownership of the SAS models for various gas turbine designs, including update and design review of models or model results
• Rapid support of design trade studies via SAS modeling support
• Support engine performance tests relative to SAS calculations and commissioning support. This may require travel to sites 10% of total time.
• Relative to SAS related issues, lead integrated product development teams to manage interfaces with gas turbine components, plant integration, and auxiliary system groups.
• Incorporate best practices from Siemens gas turbines regarding engine operations and controls.
• Support Package Frame Owner, Customer, Projects, Marketing, and Sales support as required on operational issues.
• Develop instrumentation and testing plans to support verification and validation efforts and Field Follow of hardware.
• Develop Risk assessments (FMEA) and participate in Root-Cause investigations for gas turbine systems
• Lead resolution of fleet operational issues and hardware validation when related to engine SAS and whole engine modeling.
• Familiarity with how SAS results are applied in whole engine thermo-mechanical modeling as it pertains to clearance optimization
• Ability to work with component design groups to drive design changes to optimize sealing performance or engine clearances
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience.
• Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering discipline
• Detailed knowledge in the area of gas turbine operations
• Detailed knowledge of secondary air system circuits or clearance modeling
• Strong problem solving skills
• Strong data analysis skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• 10% travel may be required
• 3-5 years of experience
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Master’s Degree in an engineering discipline
• Experience with Fluid Mechanics or sealing technologies
• Experience in fluid-structure interaction modeling and conjugate thermal analysis.
• Experience with gas turbine auxiliary systems
• Experience with gas turbine control systems
• Lean or six-sigma certification
• Proficiency in one or more computational modeling tools for thermo-mechanical or computation fluid dynamics analysis including Ansys, SC03, Abaqus, NASTRAN, ProE, NX.
• Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm .
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf .