Siemens Secondary Air Systems Engineer in Charlotte, North Carolina
Secondary Air Systems Engineer
Locations:Charlotte, North Carolina
Job Family: Engineering
Division: Power and Gas
Business Unit: Large Gas Turbines, Generators
Requisition Number: 201082
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 20%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
The Siemens Power Generation Services Division, with a broad spectrum of innovative products and services, is the leading service partner for ensuring high reliability and optimal performance of rotating power equipment within the wind, utility, oil & gas, and industrial processing industries worldwide.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/power-generation-services.htm
This position is for a Heat Transfer or Secondary Air Systems (SAS) Engineer to support R&D projects for industrial gas turbines
• The ideal candidate will join a team of engine integration engineers working on existing frames and/or the next generation of Siemens gas turbines
• This position will report to an Engine Integration manager within Siemens Gas Turbine Engineering
• This position may be filled in Charlotte, NC, Orlando FL, or Jupiter, FL
• Gas turbine performance and heat balance calculations
• Calculations relative to engine secondary airflow systems (SAS) including heat transfer parameters and correlations
• Ownership of the SAS models for various gas turbine designs, including update and design review of models or model results
• Rapid support of design trade studies requiring performance, heat transfer or SAS modeling support
• Support engine performance tests and commissioning. This may require travel to sites 10% of total time.
• Relative to performance or SAS related issues, lead integrated product development teams to manage interfaces with gas turbine components, plant integration, and auxiliary system groups.
• Incorporate best practices from Siemens gas turbines regarding performance, sealing and engine operations.
• Develop instrumentation and testing plans to support verification and validation efforts and Field Follow of hardware.
• Develop Risk assessments (FMEA) and participate in Root-Cause investigations for gas turbine systems
• Support Package Frame Owner, Customer, Projects, Marketing, and Sales support as required on operational issues.
• Lead resolution of fleet operational issues and hardware validation when related to performance, engine SAS and heat transfer modeling.
• Familiarity with how SAS and heat transfer results are applied in whole engine thermo-mechanical modeling as it pertains to clearance optimization
• Ability to work with component design groups to drive design changes to optimize sealing performance or minimize thermodynamic losses
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering discipline
• Detailed knowledge of thermodynamic cycles
• Detailed knowledge with secondary air system circuits
• Strong problem solving skills
• Strong data analysis skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• 10 - 20% travel may be required
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Master’s Degree in an engineering discipline
• Experience with Fluid Mechanics or sealing technologies
• Experience in fluid-structure interaction modeling and conjugate thermal analysis.
• Experience with gas turbine auxiliary systems
• Experience with gas turbine control systems
• Lean or six-sigma certification
• Proficiency in one or more computational modeling (CAE) tools including Ansys, SC03, Abaqus, NASTRAN, ProE, NX for thermo-mechanical analysis.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm .
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/PayTransparencyNotice_JRFQA508c.pdf .