Siemens Wind Turbine Blade R&D Engineer in Boulder, Colorado
Wind Turbine Blade R&D Engineer
Job Family: Engineering
Division: Wind Power and Renewables
Business Unit: Wind Power and Renewables
Requisition Number: 209248
Primary Location: United States-Colorado-Boulder
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 15%
About Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy
With a worldwide installed capacity of 75 GW, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy has a presence in more than 90 countries and a team of 27,000 employees worldwide. Its end-to-end value chain presence encompasses onshore and offshores wind turbines design, manufacturing, installation as well as cutting-edge service solutions. The global headquarters and legal domicile of the company is located in Zamudio, Spain. The company is listed on the Spanish stock exchange.
Wind Service R&D Blade Engineer
Location: Boulder, Colorado, USA
Organization: Siemens Wind Power – www.siemens.com/windpower
Mode of employment: Full Time
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
Wind Service R&D is a global organization developing new service products and offerings for Siemens’ installed wind turbine fleet, focused on various research and development domains. Boulder, Colorado is the hub for wind turbine blade performance, targeting improvements in acoustic performance, structural enhancements, aerodynamic performance, surface coatings, and more.
As a Service R&D Blade Engineer, you will contribute to the technology development of acoustic performance improvements, structural enhancements, aerodynamic add-on components, and blade inspection analysis tools. More specifically:
· Wind tunnel testing and real-world field validation of acoustic and aerodynamic performance
· Preparation and execution of prototype test plans, both in-laboratory and in-field
· Various computational analyses of wind turbine rotors: acoustic, loads and structures, and aerodynamics
· Testing and validation of non-destructive testing methods of fiberglass components
· Design, test, and validate upgrades of wind turbine rotors in general
· Project management of smaller-scale projects
· Technical report writing
· Masters or PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering, Material Science Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or similar
· Prior experience in the wind power industry, specifically on wind turbine blade design and/or manufacturing
· General understanding of and experience with wind turbine acoustics, loading conditions, and aerodynamics of wind turbine blades
· Strong interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
· Strong desire, ability, and adaptability to learn and solve difficult technical challenges through innovation, dedication, and cooperation with a global team
· You are result-oriented, structured, and capable of keeping perspective in a project-structured organization
· You are self-driven, inventive, proactive, and outgoing
· Ability and desire to learn and adapt quickly
· You thrive on completion of projects and delivery of results to the end customer
· You possess strong communication skills, both verbal and written in English
· Possess a positive, fun, motivated, determined, and friendly attitude
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· Project Management Professional (PMP certification)
· “Out-of-the-box” creative approach towards solving problems
· Multiple language skills are an asset, but not a requirement
MS/PhD in related discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience. Certification may be required in some areas.
Key Working Relationships
Primarily intra-organizational contacts and some external contacts.
It is essential that you are able to work and thrive independently and in a team environment, have a systematic and well-organized approach, maintain solid oversight of projects and activities, and be able to effectively communicate both up and down cross our global organization.
We offer exciting challenges and opportunities in an innovative, global company at the leading edge of green technology. Our working environment is open, energetic, inspiring, fun, and diverse.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm .
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf .