Siemens Wind Turbine Blade R&D Engineer in Boulder, Colorado
Wind Turbine Blade R&D Engineer
Job Family: Engineering
Division: Power Generation Services
Business Unit: Wind Power and Renewables
Requisition Number: 201111
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 15%
Wind Power & Renewables (WP)
Over the past decade, Siemens has established itself as a leader in America’s wind energy industry with over 5,000 “Made for America” wind turbines installed across the U.S. Siemens is committed to growing wind power through products that are proven, reliable, and durable – striving to drive down costs and increase wind as a share of the nation’s energy mix. A national network of service technicians keep turbines operating at maximum capacity.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/wind-power-and-renewables.htm
Wind Turbine Blade R&D Engineer
Wind Service R&D is a global organization developing new service products and offerings for Siemens’ installed wind turbine fleet, focused on various research and development domains. Boulder, Colorado is the hub for wind turbine blade performance, targeting improvements in aerodynamics, acoustics, coatings, and more.
As an R&D Blade Engineer, you will contribute to the technology development of aerodynamic, acoustic, and inspection analysis tools as well as solutions and validation for the full range of Siemens’ wind turbine installed fleet. Furthermore, you carry out aerodynamic and acoustic analysis and optimization of turbine performance. More specifically:
• Design and validation of aerodynamic and acoustic add-on components
• Field and wind tunnel validation of aerodynamic performance
• Aerodynamic analysis of wind turbine rotors
• Design upgrades of wind turbine rotors in general
• Field testing experience
• Testing and validation of non-destructive testing methods of fiberglass components
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Masters or PhD degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Material Science Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or similar
• General understanding of and experience with wind turbine aerodynamics, acoustics, and loading conditions of wind turbine blades
• Strong interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
• Strong desire, ability, and adaptability to learn and solve difficult technical challenges through innovation, dedication, and cooperation with a global team
• You are result-oriented, structured, and capable of keeping perspective in a project-structured organization
• You are self-driven, inventive, proactive, and outgoing
• Ability and desire to learn and adapt quickly
• You thrive on completion of projects and delivery of results to the end customer
• You possess strong communication skills, both verbal and written in English
• Possess a positive, fun, motivated, determined, and friendly attitude
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Prior experience in the wind power industry, specifically on wind turbine blade design and/or manufacturing
• Project Management Professional (PMP certification)
• “Out-of-the-box” creative approach towards solving problems
• Multiple language skills are an asset, but not a requirement
MS/PhD in related discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience. Certification may be required in some areas.
Key Working Relationships
Primarily intra-organizational contacts and some external contacts.
It is essential that you are able to work and thrive independently and in a team environment, have a systematic and well-organized approach, maintain solid oversight of projects and activities, and be able to effectively communicate both up and down cross our global organization.
We offer exciting challenges and opportunities in an innovative, global company at the leading edge of green technology. Our working environment is open, energetic, inspiring, fun, and diverse.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm .
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/PayTransparencyNotice_JRFQA508c.pdf .